Professional Mentoring Program
“Mentoring is a brain to pick, an ear to listen, and a push in the right direction.”
JOHN C. CROSBY
Are you interested in career development and advancing in your project management journey?
Or are you a seasoned project manager looking to give back to your community?
There are opportunities for everyone as part of PMI Toronto’s Professional Mentoring Program!
About the Professional Mentoring Program
The program was created by PMI Toronto in March 2003, as an opportunity to bring together a seasoned Mentor to a Mentee looking to take their careers to the next level.
The program has a total duration of 6 months in which Mentors and Mentees are paired up based on industries and commonalities to ensure the best fit. There will be three training sessions that are mandatory to attend, along with group sessions, video, and teleconferences between Mentor/Mentee. Mandatory session one starts in January, session two in April, and session three in June.
In order for mentorship to be successful, mentees must have a few clearly defined goals of what they would like to achieve through the mentorship relationship. The Mentors help Mentees to identify their potential and capabilities while guiding them toward their goals.
The program offers a great deal to both parties to not only develop and enhance project management competencies but also build a long-lasting professional relationship. The Professional Mentorship Program is a one-on-one relationship, and anything discussed during the program is kept strictly confidential between Mentor and Mentee.
There are several benefits to becoming a Mentor or a Mentee.
As a Mentee, you will gain friendly advice from a seasoned Mentor and more. Through the guidance of a Mentor, you will have the opportunity to:
- Develop your career through the support of a Mentor that can help to identify and plan for your next steps
- Build skills that will enable you to take on new challenges within your career,
- Access guidance from an experienced Project Manager who has walked down the same road, and
- Learn practical tips toward achieving work-life balance while reaching your goals.
Mentors on the other hand continue their lifelong journey of learning. As a Mentor, you will gain the opportunity to:
- Advance your project management knowledge through the experiences of your Mentee, and expand your worldview to reflect your learnings from different industries, cultures and values
- Learn from the skills and experience of your Mentee (e.g., develop new tools and techniques in this changing world)
- Further, develop your leadership skills by working through different learning and communication styles and supporting your Mentee toward their goals, and
- Give back to your community through volunteering your time and knowledge, which is rewarding in itself!
Mentorship is a continuous process! Communication is key to not only develop and guide your mentorship relationship but to also earn your PDUs.
Both the Mentor and Mentee can each earn up to 24 PDUs - 8 Technical, 8 Leadership, and 8 Strategic - to use toward their PMP or CAPM certification requirements. The training session provided will explain how each Mentor/Mentee can earn and claim their PDUs.
Now that you know what this program is about, why not take the next step?. Mentorship is a rewarding journey of learning and growth, so register today to help guide, expand your knowledge or build the career that you have been dreaming about.
How to Apply?
Submit your Application Mentee Form (Registration closed) or Application Mentor Form (Registration closed) and Resume by 11:59 pm on January 5th, 2023. Mentor/Mentees will be matched up once applications are reviewed.
- Review FAQs
- Update your Resume and upload with the file name: 'FirstName LastName Mentor/Mentee CV 2022’
- Complete online application and submit a resume through the Mentee or Mentor Application links above starting in November to January 5th, 2023 (Applies to both Mentor and Mentee)
- Application registration closes January 5, 2023
- Receive information on your Mentor-Mentee match before the Program starts
- Participation fee will be processed by PMIT offices before the program starts ($99 + HST)
- Attend the mandatory training session hosted on Zoom on Saturday, January 14, 2023.
For any additional assistance, please email email@example.com.
|Thursday, January 5, 2023||11:59 pm||Application Deadline|
|Saturday, January 14, 2023||9:00 am - 12:00 pm||Virtual Training - Opening Session 1|
|Saturday, April 15, 2023||9:00 am - 12:00 pm||Virtual Training - Mid Reflection Session 2|
|Saturday, June 17, 2023||9:00 am - 12:00 pm||Virtual Training - Closing Session 3|
In March 2003, PMI Toronto launched its first mentoring program. Since then, more than 2000 mentors and mentees have participated in the program! The mentoring program has proven itself to be a huge success for PMI Toronto, and used as an example for other chapters to launch a similar program.